
I'm super-psyched to see how our painting projects turned out! Jenn - were you able to get them yet from that pottery place we visited last weekend? Is there any way to post a photo of all of them for us to see?
The pottery activity made me think of crafty things to do, and this past week I did candle making with my college roommate, Amy. It was fun (even though it was like 90 degrees when we decided to boil hot wax) and they came out looking quite beautiful! If you want to know how, let me know.
4 comments:
I'd love to learn how to do that. I did have a little candle-making kit when I was in junior high, but I'm sure it's more complicated and interesting than that! Also, I'd love it if you ladies e-mailed me any photos that you took last weekend. I didn't take any because, as usual, I knew you could send me yours. Thanks!
Actually, candlemaking is probably quite similar to your junior high experience...it's super easy.
Materials you should get: coffee can (boil wax in); fairly low pan to boil water in & stick coffee can in (double-boiler setup); candle wax (we bought some blocks from the store as well as threw in some scraps from old candles); wick (get the kind with wire in it); pencils (to hold wicks); molds (plastic acrylic or metal work best); old crayons (to add color); oil for scent (if you like).
1. Start your water boiling
2. Break up the wax into small chunks & throw into coffee can. Place in boiling water.
3. Meanwhile, get your molds ready for the wax. We put a knot at the bottom of the mold and put packing tape over the knot so the wax won't leak. Then put your pencil on top of the mold & tighten the wick over the pencil.
4. Add crayons for color (and scented oil) once the wax has all melted.
5. Then pour into the mold.
6. Leave the molds out to harden and then put in freezer for a few hours. This allows you to pull the candles out of the mold.
Good luck!
I haven't picked them up yet--for several reasons--but I plan to get them either tonight or tomorrow morning. Once I do, I will send out some pics! Sorry for the delay, but first they weren't ready, then they were closed for the holiday, and then I left for Vermont! I can't wait to see them, too! Andrea, the candle-making is awesome!
No problem, Jenn!
How was Vermont, by the way? Did you gain some good info to take back to the school?
Post a Comment