Tuesday, September 16, 2008

5K baby!

So, I need your moral support here! I'm trying to get psychologically ready for my first 5K race that will be this weekend in the form of the Susan Komen Breast Cancer Race for a Cure held in good old Bangor, Maine. I'm doing it with my friend Becky from school, also an English teacher, but I'm somewhat scared about how I can run for that long! I know you have done it before, Jenn. Any words of advice???

5 comments:

colleenbon said...

Wow! Good for you! I'll show my moral support by starting a running program on Sunday. A friend of mine has promised to get me working on it and we're thinking of doing a Thanksgiving 5k as the marker. You'll be awesome! Have fun (or at least don't throw up!)

Andrea said...

Good luck, V!
I'll be thinking of you while I'm running it on Sunday and wishing you good thoughts as you start running in MN.
Maybe someday the three of us can run a race together! I think with all the talking we could do while we run, our minds would be totally taken off of the pain that is involved in running!

Andrea said...

I DID IT!
I ran the entire race today! Yay!
My time was a slow 36 minutes, but at least I finished, right?
It felt so good to complete it and inspired me to do more 5K races!!

jennie said...

WOW, awesome job Andrea! I'm super proud of you! Sorry I wasn't around to wish you well earlier. I've been really bad about blogging. 36 minutes is really good. My time was just about the same, so I think that's very respectable! How did you make it through the run?

Andrea said...

I'm super psyched, too, now because my time is actually 34 minutes officially!
The run was tough - much of the first half was a gradual (and at points not so gradual) uphill. And I did slow down for awhile. It was also tough because my friend Becky was going to run with me, which would have been a nice distraction, but she wanted to go super fast I guess and took off near the beginning! So, I did it myself and wish I had my iPod with me!
But, the second half was a lot of downhill and then it was so exhilarating at the end to see so many people cheering us on near the finish line.